The Referrals metric shows where your website traffic comes from in order to track your marketing campaigns. Vantevo supports special URL query parameters to improve the quality of your statistics. The UTM "Urchin Tracking Module" are tags to be added at the end of the URL to locate the traffic source and are transmitted to Vantevo for tracking. If you click the UTM Campaigns button at the top right of the widget, a drop-down menu opens where you can see and filter
Here is the detail of the query parameters that you can configure and analyze:
- Source (utm_source) is the source detail of the traffic that arrives on your website.
- Medium (utm_medium) refers to the means used by your users, such as social media.
- Campaign (utm_campaign) is the name that identifies the marketing campaign you want to monitor.
- Content (utm_content) identifies which content the traffic sent. For example, if you have multiple calls to action within the same newsletter page, you can figure out which link was clicked by configuring this parameter.
- Term (utm_term) useful for paid ads. It is used to filter the terms used by visitors in their searches.
Other query parameters
- Ref (ref) this parameter will be used as
- Source (source) this parameter will be used as
Referrers "Direct / None" are visitors who directly enter or they clicked on website's link from an email not containing a query parameter.
To minimize the amount of traffic that falls into the "Direct / None" category, you can use special query parameters for your links.
Whenever you post a link on social media or add a link in an email, you can choose to add a special query parameter to the link, you can use our link generation tool.
Vantevo Analytics will show the
ref query parameter in the
utm_source section as a reference source.
To configure your URL with UTM parameters using Vantevo Analytics click here.